The proper occupancy for an atom on a special position depends on
how one defines the meaning of the number in that column.  In the
past, refinement programs, at least I know mine did, simply expanded
all atoms in the coordinate file by the symmetry operators to determine
the contents of the unit cell.  With that operation the occupancy of
the atoms on special positions had to be reduced.  It is certainly
true that there are 1/3 the number of atoms in the unit cell represented
by "ZN D  31" than, for example, the CA of residue 50.

   Most modern refinement programs try to handle this automatically,
since users proved unreliable at detecting this condition and modifying
their coordinate files.  They use the interpretation that the "site"
is fully occupied but there are only 1/3 the number of these "sites"
than "sites" at general positions.

   Personally I find it disturbing to have the occupancy of "B  31"
set to 0.33 and that of "D  31" set to 1.00 simply because of an
insignificant shift in the position of the atom.

Dale Tronrud