Of course metal ions, So4 etc often lie on special positions - the insulin hexamer is generated around Zn atoms on the 3-fold axis.
Eleanor

On 12/09/2010 01:29 PM, Ian Tickle wrote:
Of course it's always possible for an asymmetric molecule (or part of
a molecule, such as a side-chain) to lie on or near a symmetry axis,
provided it's rotationally disordered with occupancy 0.5 (assuming a
2-fold).  In other words half the molecules are randomly distributed
over half of the asymmetric units in one orientation and the other
half are in the other a.u.s in the symmetry-related orientation, so
the copies never clash.  The occupancy must be near 0.5 because if it
deviated much from that you would start to see breakdown of the
symmetry of the diffraction pattern (with higher Rmerge etc), and you
would likely conclude that the space group is actually a sub-group of
the original one without the symmetry axis.  Obviously it will depend
on the quality of the data, the resolution and the scattering power of
the disorder part whether you are able in practice to detect such a
breakdown of symmetry.

The question here though is whether an atom (say the CG of the ASP) of
the rotationally disordered molecule/part-molecule in such a situation
necessarily lies _on_ a special position.  It would be pure
coincidence if it did, for the simple reason that there's absolutely
no reason why it should do so.  In other words, because it has
occupancy 0.5 (obviously it must have the same occupancy as the atoms
that it's covalently bonded to, assuming there's no other disorder
present), it must be disordered and so doesn't have to obey the bulk
symmetry.  In fact, it would be equally 'happy' slightly displaced
from the special position.  There will be no significant minimum in
the internal energy of the system for a disordered atom on a special
position, because the reason it's disordered is that there are no
strong interactions with the surrounding atoms, which would favour one
possible orientation over the other.

This is quite different from the original question posed by Gloria
where (I assume) we have a molecule on a special position where there
is no rotational disorder (it may still have occupancy disorder, i.e.
it may only be present in a fraction of the a.u.s).  Here clearly the
occupancy may be>  0.5 for a 2-fold and so no clashes with the
symmetry mate(s) are permitted (assuming of course that the space
group is correct!).  In this case the molecule itself must therefore
possess at least the symmetry of the special position, e.g. H2O or SO4
for a 2-fold, as Ralf says.  Being ordered (or at least not as
disordered) such a molecule must have strong interactions with its
neighbours, so any shift off the special position would likely result
in an increase in internal energy.

Cheers

-- Ian