> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 9:16 AM, David Roberts <drobe...@depauw.edu> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Quick question on linux varieties.  For years (and years) I have used fedora
> > (after Ultrix of course).  In fact, most of my computers are running FC7
> > (that long ago), it's very stable and works fine.  However, since it is no
> > longer supported, I'm toying with upgrading.
> >
> > I upgraded one machine to FC13.  However, this nouveau driver thing is
> > killing me, and getting my nvidia drivers installed is hopeless (I have
> > followed every thread on this and I simply give up - it's not worth it).
> >  With a Zalman monitor it doesn't matter - nouveau works fine and my stereo
> > is good - so I don't really care (or do I).

I've been running Mandriva for years on both my lab and home machines.
I think its configuration out of the box is more suitable than anything
of Redhat's for both lab and home use.
Fedora is too bleeding edge and broken. RHEL is too crufty and locked down.
Besides, the gnome desktop environment is too awful for words :-)

Mandriva has automated installation and update support for nvidia's drivers;
just make sure you that if you later upgrade the kernel manually you pick
the nvidia version of the kernel package.

I tried a Ubuntu live disk recently, but it didn't manage to load working
wifi or graphics drivers for my laptop so for me it fails on the hardware
detection criterion. Also that would mean choosing gnome (which I hate)
or Kubuntu (which is widely rumoured to be an unsupported orphan although
I have never tried it myself).

I'm not entirely sure what I'd pick if Mandriva weren't available.
Probably Suse or PLD.  The PLD rpms are cross-compatible with Mandriva's;
Suse not so much.

        cheers,

                Ethan

> > The question is this - what flavors of linux out there are simplest to
> > install - work instantly with various hardwares, and run stereo seamlessly
> > (either Zalman stereo or hardware stereo with an emitter).  For zalman
> > anything works - which is why I'm going that way - but I still need hardware
> > stereo on a few machines.  So, for hardware, I need my nvidia drivers to
> > install easily.
> >
> > I'm downloading ubuntu - is that a good choice?  Can I run different flavors
> > of linux with nfs and share drives in a local network (so one has fc7, one
> > has fc13, and another has ubuntu)?

I can't think of any reason you'd have nfs problems per se.
Be aware that to make shared nfs work well you should set
each user's UID to match on all the machines with nfs access.