Most non-structural users are familiar with the sequence of the proteins they
are studying, and most software does at least display residue identity if you
select an atom in a residue, so usually it is not necessary to do any cross
checking besides selecting an atom in the residue and seeing what its residue
name is.  The chance of somebody misinterpreting a truncated Lys as Ala is, in
my experience, much much lower than the chance they will trust the xyz
coordinates of atoms with zero occupancy or high B factors.

What worries me the most is somebody designing a whole biological experiment
around an over-interpretation of details that are implied by xyz coordinates of
atoms, even if those atoms were not resolved in the maps.  When this sort of
error occurs it is a level of pain and wasted effort that makes the "pain"
associated with having to build back in missing side chains look completely
trivial.

As long as the PDB file format is the way users get structural data, there is
really no good way to communicate "atom exists with no reliable coordinates" to
the user, given the diversity of software packages out there for reading PDB
files and the historical lack of any standard way of dealing with this issue.
Even if the file format is hacked there is no way to force all the existing
software out there to understand the hack.  A file format that isn't designed
with this sort of feature from day one is not going to be fixable as a
practical matter after so much legacy code has accumulated.

-Eric