Well, what about getting the default settings on the major molecular
viewers to hide atoms with either occ=0 or b>cutoff ("novice mode?")?
While the b cutoff is still be tricky, I assume we could eventually
come to consensus on some reasonable cutoff (2 sigma from the mean?),
and then this approach would allow each free-spirited crystallographer
to keep his own preferred method of dealing with these troublesome
sidechains and nary a novice would be led astray....

JPK

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Eric Bennett <er...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Most non-structural users are familiar with the sequence of the proteins they
> are studying, and most software does at least display residue identity if you
> select an atom in a residue, so usually it is not necessary to do any cross
> checking besides selecting an atom in the residue and seeing what its residue
> name is.  The chance of somebody misinterpreting a truncated Lys as Ala is,
> in my experience, much much lower than the chance they will trust the xyz
> coordinates of atoms with zero occupancy or high B factors.
>
> What worries me the most is somebody designing a whole biological experiment
> around an over-interpretation of details that are implied by xyz coordinates
> of atoms, even if those atoms were not resolved in the maps.  When this sort
> of error occurs it is a level of pain and wasted effort that makes the "pain"
> associated with having to build back in missing side chains look completely
> trivial.
>
> As long as the PDB file format is the way users get structural data, there is
> really no good way to communicate "atom exists with no reliable coordinates"
> to the user, given the diversity of software packages out there for reading
> PDB files and the historical lack of any standard way of dealing with this
> issue.  Even if the file format is hacked there is no way to force all the
> existing software out there to understand the hack.  A file format that isn't
> designed with this sort of feature from day one is not going to be fixable as
> a practical matter after so much legacy code has accumulated.
>
> -Eric
>

> On Apr 3, 2011, at 2:20 PM, Jacob Keller wrote:
>
>> To the delete-the-atom-nik's: do you propose deleting the whole
>> residue or just the side chain? I can understand deleting the whole
>> residue, but deleting only the side chain seems to me to be placing a
>> stumbling block also, and even possibly confusing for an experienced
>> crystallographer: the .pdb says "lys" but it looks like an ala? Which
>> is it? I could imagine a lot of frustration-hours arising from this
>> practice, with people cross-checking sequences, looking in the methods
>> sections for mutations...
>>
>> JPK

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University