I am routinely having the Mac vs Linux conversation with crystallographers and
new students, especially given the price of Macs.

Generally I think that the extra money spent on a Mac pays for less time spent
messing around installing software, sorting out dependencies, swearing at the
less than effective office software etc. that plagues Linux which is more of a
"computer experts" platform. I'd say if your interest is in solving structures
with the least hassle get a Mac, but if you want to develop software get Linux.
Meanwhile I think windows is slowly improving as a crystallography platform -
and Microsoft is perhaps no longer hated in principle - however the one student
in our lab who opted to go the windows route seems very limited in the software
he can run.

Of course getting the highest spec machine one can afford at the time applies
to all platforms. Mind you I've been using mid range MacBook Pro's for the last
few years which work fine, with the added bonus that you can keep your coffee
warm by placing it near the processor during MR!

Simon