2011/9/29 Simon Kolstoe <s.kols...@ucl.ac.uk>:

> Generally I think that the extra money spent on a Mac pays for less time
> spent messing around
> installing software, sorting out dependencies, swearing at the less than
> effective office software etc.
> that plagues Linux which is more of a "computer experts" platform.

For some years I had dual-boot systems, but since the only thing in
Windows that I can't live without is their Office suite, what I've
been doing for a year or two is having an easy to maintain linux
distribution in my desktop (I use Kubuntu since Dapper Drake, and by
that time it seemed to be the only distro which was anything near
"easy to use", but there are probably other good options today) while
running Microsoft Office via Crossover Office, a very cheap little
program for running windows software on linux (they also have a
version for Mac). It works just perfectly, and it means I only need an
Office license (no need to install Windows, as some do in virtual
machines).

Also, back in 2003 setting up the video card was a nightmare even in
more user-friendly linux distributions. It seems not to be the case
nowadays, it's been a long time since I had that feeling for
destroying the computer with a sledgehammer after trying the nth
version of xorg.conf and still being unable to run coot.

Lucas