Le 29/09/2011 11:43, Johan Turkenburg a écrit :
> This discussion will rage forever, it seems, but that won't stop us
> all chipping in. My experience is the opposite: all crystallographic
> software I use is available as binaries for the major linux distros,
> and installs without problems. Ubuntu is easy to maintain on desktops
> (your mileage on laptops may vary). I constantly hear people complain
> about Office being a pain when exchanging documents between PC and
> Mac. So it is a personal preference, based on what you have experience
> with etc., there is no a clear-cut answer.
>
> And by the way, if it all works so well on Macs, why is the BB awash
> with people asking about installation problems on Macs? If the answer
> is that this is due to inexperience, then the same applies to problems
> with Linux boxes ;-)
>
> Dr. Johan P. Turkenburg                     X-ray facilities manager
> York Structural Biology Laboratory
> University of York                               Phone (+) 44 1904 328251
> York YO10 5DD   UK                          Fax   (+) 44 1904 328266
>

> On 29 September 2011 09:54, Simon Kolstoe <s.kols...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I am routinely having the Mac vs Linux conversation with crystallographers
>> and new students, especially given the price of Macs.
>>
>> Generally I think that the extra money spent on a Mac pays for less time
>> spent messing around installing software, sorting out dependencies, swearing
>> at the less than effective office software etc. that plagues Linux which is
>> more of a "computer experts" platform. I'd say if your interest is in
>> solving structures with the least hassle get a Mac, but if you want to
>> develop software get Linux. Meanwhile I think windows is slowly improving as
>> a crystallography platform - and Microsoft is perhaps no longer hated in
>> principle - however the one student in our lab who opted to go the windows
>> route seems very limited in the software he can run.
>>
>> Of course getting the highest spec machine one can afford at the time
>> applies to all platforms. Mind you I've been using mid range MacBook Pro's
>> for the last few years which work fine, with the added bonus that you can
>> keep your coffee warm by placing it near the processor during MR!
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> On 29 Sep 2011, at 01:26, Jacqueline Vitali wrote:
>>
>>> Dear colleagues,
>>>
>>> I need some advice for a new computer.
>>>
>>> (1) I have the option of an HP Z210  8 GB with a low end Quadro Nvidia 400
>>> 512 MB.
>>>
>>> --How does Coot run with this card?
>>>
>>> --I am happy with any Linux.  However, the system needs updates for
>>> security purposes (the University requires it).  Do I have to remake the
>>> NVidia driver every time there is a kernel update or is there a way around
>>> it for this NVidia card?  Do you suggest another NVidia card (inexpensive)
>>> that is good for coot and automatically updates when the kernel is updated?
>>>
>>> (2) Second option is an IMAC 4 GB 2.5 GHz with AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
> [...]

I totally agree with Johan. I have experience now with both linux and
apple osx and I cannot say that things are easier in osx. It's rather
the opposite when it comes to the management of the OS in itself. Add to
this that when you have more or less learnt how to deal with a
particularity of the apple OS, they may change it in the next "upgrade".
Example: NFS. Non-unix idioms are becoming so frequent in osx that one
would say that it will soon depart completely from the BSD origins. But
this is a quite subjective view, of course.

However, if you compare the price/performance ratio, at least in Europe,
you will come easily with an answer.

--
Miguel

Architecture et Fonction des Macromolécules Biologiques (UMR6098)
CNRS, Universités d'Aix-Marseille I & II
Case 932, 163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille cedex 9, France
Tel: +33(0) 491 82 55 93
Fax: +33(0) 491 26 67 20
mailto:miguel.ortiz-lombar...@afmb.univ-mrs.fr
http://www.afmb.univ-mrs.fr/Miguel-Ortiz-Lombardia