I do all my program development on Linux and never liked Windows. However
I recently attended two small-molecule crystallographic workshops where
the large majority of the participants used exclusively Windows, and the
ones who didn't use Windows used mostly Macs. I think the decisive
advantage of Windows for them is the ease of downloading and installing
the software from the internet, especially on laptops. Indeed some small
molecule programs such as Olex2 (a widely used graphical GUI) perform
automatic web updates unless you go to some lengths to stop them (i.e.
just like Microsoft). The large majority of SHELX and shelXle (Christian
Huebschle's GUI for SHELXL refinement of small molecules) downloads are
for Windows, and Mac downloads clearly outnumber Linux. I suspect that a
silent majority of CCP4 users actually also run CCP4, and especially Coot,
under Windows!

George

--
Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS