Dear Frank,
re 'who will write the grant?'.

This is not as easy as it sounds, would that it were!

There are two possible business plans:-
Option 1. Specifically for MX is the PDB as the first and foremost
candidate to seek such additional funds for full diffraction data
deposition for each future PDB deposiition entry. This business plan
possibility is best answered by PDB/EBI (eg Gerard Kleywegt has
answered this in the negative thus far at the CCP4 January 2010).

Option 2 The Journals that host the publications could add the cost to
the subscriber and/or the author according to their funding model. As
an example and as a start a draft business plan has been written by
one of us [JRH] for IUCr Acta Cryst E; this seemed attractive because
of its simpler 'author pays' financing. This proposed business plan is
now with IUCr Journals to digest and hopefully refine. Initial
indications are that Acta Cryst C would be perceived by IUCr Journals
as a better place to start considering this in detail, as it involves
fewer crystal structures than Acta E and would thus be more
manageable. The overall advantage of the responsibility being with
Journals as we see it is that it encourages such 'archiving of data
with literature' across all crystallography related techniques (single
crystal, SAXS, SANS, Electron crystallography etc) and fields
(Biology, Chemistry, Materials, Condensed Matter Physics etc) ie not
just one technique and field, although obviously biology is dear to
our hearts here in the CCP4bb.

Yours sincerely,
John and Tom
John Helliwell  and Tom Terwilliger