From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Matthew
BOWLER
Sent: 26 October 2011 10:03
To: ccp4bb
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] IUCr committees, depositing images

The archiving of all raw data and subsequently making it public is something
that the large facilities are currently debating whether to do.  Here at the
ESRF we store user data for only 6 months (and I believe that it is available
longer on tape) and we already have trouble with capacity.  My personal view is
that facilities should take the lead on this - for MX we already have a very
good archiving system - ISPyB - also running at Diamond.  ISPyB stores lots of
meta data and jpgs of the raw images but not the images themselves but a link
to the location of the data with an option to download if still available.  My
preferred option would be to store all academically funded data and then make
it publicly available after say 2-5 years (this will no doubt spark another
debate on time limits, special dispensation etc).  What needs to be thought
about is how to order the data and how to make sure that the correct meta data
are stored with each data set - this will rely heavily on user input at the
time of the experiment rather than gathering together data sets for depositions
much later.  As already mentioned, this type of resource could be extremely
useful for developers and also as a general scientific resource.  Smells like
an EU grant to me. Cheers, Matt.