On Wednesday, 26 October 2011, James Holton wrote:
> Of course, if we are willing to relax the requirement of validation and
> curation, this could be a whole lot easier.  In fact, there is already
> an image deposition infrastructure in place!  It is called TARDIS:
>
> http://tardis.edu.au/
>
> Perhaps the best way forward would be for "the PDB" to introduce a new
> field for one or more TARDIS ids in a PDB deposition?  It would be
> optional at the first, but no doubt required in the future.

As I understand it, TARDIS is just an indexing system.
You're still on your own to actually store the images.
The TARDIS setup will cough up the information that your images
are stored on a machine named pony.lbl.gov, or at least they were
at the time you registered them for indexing, where they supposedly
can be retrieved using tag #XYZ.

But so far as I know you would still be at the mercy of pony.lbl.gov
going up in flames, or being renamed twinkle.lbl.gov, or being
decommissioned when the next budget crunch hits.

For that matter, I don't know what the provision or expectation
is that anyone outside your institution could see or access the
machine holding the set of files that TARDIS told them were there.

If I've got this wrong, perhaps Ashley Buckle can chime in with
an update on TARDIS.

        Ethan