you may have thought of this already, but you could try cryoprotection in the
drop itself.
i.e. slowly adding cryoprotectant to the reservoir, or replacing the reservoir
bit by bit with solution containing cryoprotectant, and then adding small
volumes to the side of the drop
- for example, exchanging 20% volume cryo-solution with the reservoir, letting
equilibrate with the unchanged drop for a few hours, then add 20% volume to the
drop from the reservoir (i.e. 0.2 ul if the drop is 1 ul), then add another 20%
of cryo to the reservoir, equilibrate a few hrs, etc. - the idea being to very
slowly change the drop conditions and minimise risk of cracking.
Of course, you may need patience and many drops of crystals, not just many
crystals in a few drops, until you find the cryoprotectant where the crystals
do not crack and still diffract, if you are successful at all...
but if it works, you can just harvest from the equilibrated drop and directly
flash-cool

Mark J van Raaij
Laboratorio M-4
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas