I must "say" that there were some emails exchanged between me and Gerard later, in which I pointed out that I wasn't against deposition of images (data frames). In fact, if SR sources kept user's data there would be one more structure from here in the PDB: HDD failure here, the data on a mirror HDD but the company in charge of maintenance erased the data frames and data processing statistics by accident. For a trypanosomal enzyme there is no chance that I can ever get funding now to replicate the work (protein production and purification, crystallisation, data collection) so that "Table 1" could be produced for a manuscript.

However, my email to the bb was provocative - I admit I was doing this willingly - to write that in such harsh funding times someone could start a career, get some small grant, enough to clone produce purify crystallize and collect a first data set. And then find him or herself without funding for X years (success rate = less than 10% these days). If this person then gets scooped by whoever, end of a promising career. Unfortunately, such a prospect doesn't seem to be science fiction any more nowadays. I hope this clears things. I wanted to be provocative and point out the difficulties we are all facing wrt funding so that we shouldn't set up a system that may result in killing careers. Our politicians do not need any help from us on that I think.

Fred.

Gerard Bricogne wrote:
Dear Remy,

     You are right, and I was about to send a message confessing that I had
been rash in my response to Fred's. Another person e-mailed me off-list to
point out that sometimes a structure can be quickly solved, but that doing
all the rest of the work involved in wrapping that structure into a good
biological story for publication can take a very long time, and that it
would be wrong for a SR source's forced disclosure policy to start imposing
deadlines on that process. I entirely agree with both of you and admit that
I reacted too quickly and with insufficient thought to Fred's message.

     However, as you point out yourself, this issue is related to a
different question (SR sources' disclosure policy towards all data collected
on their beamlines) from the original one that started this thread
(deposition of raw images with the pdb entries they led to). The two topics
became entangled through the idea of prototyping an approach to the latter
by tweaking the storage and access features involved in the former.
     Many thanks to you and to the other correspondent for picking up and
correcting my error. This however leaves the main topic of this thread
untouched.

     With best wishes,
Gerard.