Generally during these rigorous bb debates I prefer to stay silent and
absorb all the information possible so that I can make an informed decision
later on. I fear that I am compelled to contribute in this instance. In
regards to the "does this make a difference in the biological interpretation
stage" issue, I can state that it does. In my comparatively miniscule career
I have run into this issue three times. The first two address Adrian's
point...

And (b) even if they do, is this continual improvement even worthwhile?  I
>  am always depressed at how little a model changes from an initial build to
> the final one, even when the rfree drops from 35 to 23. All that work! - and
> my biological interpretation would have been almost the same at the
> beginning as at the end.

In one instance I adopted an orphaned structure and ran it through a
slightly more advanced refinement protocol (on the same structure factors)
and ended up with a completely different story than the one I started with
[1]. Another researcher in my grad lab identified mis-oriented catalytic
residues in an existing structure from EDS server maps which affects the
biochemistry of the catalytic mechanism [2].

In another case I decided that I would reprocess some images that I had
originally indexed and scaled in my "Ooo buttons clicky clicky" stage of
learning crystallography and the improved structure factors revealed a
alternate conformations for both a critical loop and ligand orientation [3].

And this was all in the last 4 years. So I would posit that the answer is
yes there are significant biological insights to be had with the capacity to
reassess data in any form.

Katherine

[1] J Phys Chem Lett. 2010 Oct 7;1(19):2898-2902
[2] Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2009 Mar;65(Pt 3):294-6.
[3] Manuscript in progress

Katherine Sippel, PhD
Postdoctoral Associate
Baylor College of Medicine