Hi Boaz,

I see your point in regards to making a database of "all" diffraction
images. The argument I clearly failed to make effectively was that
improvement of structures can frequently yield useful biological information
which is why I believe that, at the least, images of deposited structures
should be archived. The availability of the structure factors alone can
allow crystallographers to improve models significantly, but there is always
the question of whether there was more data lost to button smashing despite
developers efforts to make data processing idiot-proof.

If I am going to invest years of my life and millions of tax dollars on a
hypothesis derived from a structure I personally would be willing to take a
day to reprocess the images and put the model through it's paces to ensure
that I'm not wasting my time and/or other people's money.

Yes experimenters (including myself) make mistakes, but the joy of
crystallography is that we can effectively backtrack, identify where the
mistake was made, fix it and learn from it. All it costs us is a couple of
hours and perhaps a little pride whereas the result is stronger more
effective science for our field as a whole. In my mind that equalizes out
the cost:benefit ratio considerably.

Of course this is all just my opinion,

Katherine