I like your point--somehow we should enlist the evil inclination to power
our science, a la Faust. How is it that those hackers are so innovative for
so little reward? I remember a Smithsonian article years ago which quoted
the calculated mean $/hr rate of money counterfeiters as being ~pennies/hr,
and I assume hackers would fit right in there...

JPK

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Artem Evdokimov
<artem.evdoki...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I can't resist asking: If we assume that the data fabrication
> techniques and the techniques for discovery of such activities should
> have the same sort of arms race as the development of viruses and
> anti-malvare software (but of course on a much more modest scale since
> structural biology is a relatively niche discipline) - can we then
> speculate further that eventually the most sophisticated fabrication
> techniques would be equivalent to de novo structure prediction :) It's
> really too bad that there's no real money in this (again, relatively
> speaking - not as much money as there is in software development),
> because if there was then the structural biology equivalent of 'virus
> hackers' would in reality approximate the same development trajectory
> as the most successful (and legitimate) protein modelers. Given the
> ingenuity of hackers and like-minded people in general, I sometimes
> wonder if this isn't a better way to develop structure prediction
> tools...
>
> Artem
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Paul Emsley <paul.ems...@bioch.ox.ac.uk>
> wrote:
> > On 31/03/12 23:08, Kevin Jin wrote:
> >

> > I really wish PDB could have some people to review those important
> > structures, like paper reviewer.
> >

> > So do the wwPDB, I would imagine.
> >
> > But they can't just magic funding and positions into existence...
> >
> > If the coordinate is downloaded for modeling and docking, people may not
> > check the density and model by themself. However this is not the worst
> case,
> > since the original data was fabricated.
> >

> > 1. All of data was correct and real,
> >

> > Hmmm...
> >
> >  It will be very difficult for people to check the density and
> coordinated
> > if he/she is not a well-trained crystallographer.
> >

> > I hope and believe that this is not the case.  Even basically-trained
> > crystallographers should be able to calculate and interpret difference
> maps
> > of the kind described by Bernhard.  And with the EDS and PDB_REDO server,
> > one does not even need to know how to make generate a difference map...
> >
> > Paul.

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program