Dear Phoebe,

As it happens, validation through the PDB is exactly what the X-ray Validation
Task Force proposed (to be honest, it was a suggestion made by George Sheldrick
the last time there was a debate like this on the CCP4-BB!), and the wwPDB is
currently implementing the pipeline needed to automatically produce a good
validation report.  A preliminary version of such a report is already available
when you deposit a structure now, the IUCr journals already require this for
papers describing structures, and there seems to be interest from some other
journals.  In the meantime, if you're refereeing a paper from a journal that
doesn't require the validation report to be submitted with the paper, you can
always ask them to get it from the author.

Best wishes,

Randy

-----
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research    Tel: +44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                         Fax: +44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                                            E-mail:
rj...@cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.
www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk