From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Herbert J.
Bernstein [y...@bernstein-plus-sons.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 4:33 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] very informative - Trends in Data Fabrication

Dear Colleagues,

   One thing that would help is avoiding misappropriated priority of
research
results would be to join the math and physics community in their robust
use of open-access
preprints in arXiv.  Such public preprints establish reliable timelines
for research credit
and help to ensure timely access to new results by the entire community.
Fully peer-reviewed publications in "real" journals are still desirable,
but to make
this work, our journals would have to be willing to accept papers for
which such
a preprint system has been used.  To understand the complexity of the issue,
see

http://nanoscale.blogspot.com/2008/01/arxiv-and-publishing.html

I believe the IUCr is willing to accept papers that are posted on a
preprint server (somebody
correct me if I am wrong).

   It works for the math and physics community.  Perhaps it would work
for the
crystallographic community.