Mark,

I know some stories (which of course I'll not post here)  from the
Crystallography field and from other fields where reviewers profit from the
fact that suddenly they have new, interpreted data which fits very well
with their own results. Stories like to block a manuscript or ask for more
results for the reviewer to be able to submit its own paper (with "new"
ideas) in time, or copy a structure from the figures, or ask for
experiments that only the reviewer can do so he/she is included in the
paper, or submit as fast as possible in another journal with an extremely
short delay of acceptance (e.g. 10 days,  without revision?, talking to the
editorial board?) things like this. Well, it is not question of making a
full list, here!. The whole problem comes from publishing first, from
competition.

The hope with fraud with X-ray data is that it seems to be detectable,
thanks to valuable people that develop methods to detect it. But it is very
difficult to demonstrate that your work, ideas or results have been copied.
How do you defend from this? And how after giving to them the valuable PDB?

Finally, how many crystallographers are in the world? 5000?  The concept of
ethics can change from one place to another and, more than this, there is
the fact that the reviewer is anonymous.

I try to respond to my reviewers the best I can and I really trust their
criteria, sometimes a bit too much, indeed. I think they all have done a
very nice job. But some of the stories from above happened to me or close
to me and I feel really insecure with the idea of sending a manuscript, the
X-ray data and the PDB, altogether, to a reviewer shielded by anonymity.
It's too risky: with an easy molecular replacement someone can solve a
difficult structure and publish it first. And then the only thing left to
the "bad reviewer" is to change the author's list! (and for the "true"
author what is left is to feel like an idiot).

In my humble opinion, we must be strict but not kill ourselves. Trust
authors as we trust reviewers. Otherwise, the whole effort might be useless.

Maria

Dep. Structural Biology
IBMB-CSIC
Baldiri Reixach 10-12