Dear Andrea,
Checking the quality of electron density maps has been correctly mentioned
as one adds more data.

In chemical crystallography one can monitor the bond distance and angles
sigmas ie until adding more data at ever higher resolution causes them to
deteriorate in quality.

The equivalent in protein crystallography can be done if one has sufficient
resolution for the least squares model refinement full matrix inversion to
work. Alternatively, at poorer resolutions than that, you can monitor if
the Cruickshank-Blow Diffraction Precision Index (DPI) improves or not as
more data are steadily added to your model refinements.

To quote the resolution in your article at which I/sigI crosses 2, whilst
not cutting the data at that point, can assist the reader in knowing the
data quality you have worked with. Making the raw diffraction data images
available would make things totally clear to the reader.

Best wishes,
John
Professor John R Helliwell DSc