Hi Bernhard,

A look at the  methods section might give you a clue. Neither XDS nor
XSCALE create mmCIF - files (you are talking about mmCIF, not CIF -
subtle, but annoying difference), so that the choice is limited. I
guess some programmer (rather than a scientist ;-) )used a simple
printf commmand for a double precision number so the junk is left over
from the memory region or other noise common to conversions.

XDS actually prints error estimates for the cell dimensions in
CORRECT.LP which could be added to the mmCIF file - a cif (sic!) file,
I believe, requires those, by the way and checkCIF would complain
about their absence.

Cheers,
Tim

- ------------