Greetings all -

My interest in the rest of the discussion of experimental precision and error
notwithstanding, and at the risk of stating explicitly what some might consider
obvious, it seems to me that no one has actually (intentionally) asserted that
they have determined the unit cell to 10^-20 meter precision.  Rather, I find
it far more likely that some program just output the floating point
representation of a 3-decimal-place number without a proper 3-decimal-place
format string (something like `printf(“%f”, _cell.length_a)` instead of
`printf(“%5.3f”, _cell.length_a)`, perhaps).  The extra digits are the “noise”
of floating point rounding error.  Notice the repeating 9’s and 0’s after 3
decimal places in each of the values in question:

_cell.entry_id      4c69
_cell.length_a      100.152000427  ==>  100.152
_cell.length_b      58.3689994812  ==>  58.369
_cell.length_c      66.5449981689  ==>  66.545
_cell.angle_alpha   90.0
_cell.angle_beta    99.2519989014  ==>  99.252
_cell.angle_gamma   90.0

Each of these “extra precise” numbers should simply have been output with only
3 decimal places.  But I suppose this still doesn’t answer the original
question of *which* program actually needs to be fixed.

Cheers,
Jared

--
Jared Sampson
Xiangpeng Kong Lab

On Jul 23, 2014, at 5:44 PM, Bernhard Rupp