Dear BB

I have (again) realised how limited by understanding of our subject is.

In Nature’s online site
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature14110.html?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20150129
there is a paper describing an X-ray structure determined with sub-atomic
data (nice!).  The figures show density for H+ as well as H-. In my simple
way I had assumed that any X-ray scattering from the nucleus was
negligible, and that the electrons are responsible for this. I would expect
a proton (i.e. H+) alone to be invisible to X-rays, and certainly not to
look similar to a hydride (with two electrons in (electron density) maps.
What have I missed?  Could someone please explain, or point me to a
suitable reference?

Best wishes, Peter

(please use peter.mo...@le.ac.uk to reply directly)

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/biochemistry/staff/moody