   This particular model was deposited in early December of 2014, so
the authors had the validation report in hand before publication and,
I presume could (should) have passed it on to the reviewers.  The
release date of the entry has nothing to do with the availability of
the validation report to reviewers.

   The model's validation report does have low percentiles on the
clashscore and RSRZ outliers but is far better than most 3.5A models
for Ramachandran outliers.  I'm not sure what your objection to this
model is.  Did you look at the fit to density and have some specific
criticism of the quality of workmanship?

   As for the PDB releasing a model containing outliers: The PDB is an
archive, not a gatekeeper.  If you, and your publisher, want to put
your name on it the PDB will store it so that others can look at the
model/data and judge for themselves.

Dale Tronrud

On 4/27/2015 7:04 AM, Oganesyan, Vaheh wrote:
> Hi Robbie and Co,
>

> These things are happening now too. Look at the entry 4x4m. The
> paper got published in January, PDB released coordinates in April.
> That means reviewers did not have a chance to look even at
> validation report. In my opinion, whatever it is worth, every
> journal dealing with crystal structures should, at the very least,
> request the validation report from PDB including Nature, Science
> and PNAS.
>
> What is also interesting that at the end PDB released the
> coordinates with large number of outliers. I don’t think those can
> be justified with low resolution of the data.
>

> /Regards,/
>
> / /
>
> /Vaheh Oganesyan/
>
> /www.medimmune.com/
>

> *From:*CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] *On
> Behalf Of *Robbie Joosten *Sent:* Friday, April 24, 2015 2:37 AM
> *To:* CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK *Subject:* Re: [ccp4bb] 3BDN, 16.5%
> Ramachandran Outliers!!!!!
>

> The PDB_REDO entry for 3bdn was pretty old, so I replaced it using
> a newer version of PDB_REDO that can use nucleic acid restraints
> from LibG: http://www.cmbi.ru.nl/pdb_redo/bd/3bdn/index.html.
> Obviously, the new structure model is far from brilliant (PDB_REDO
> doesn't rebuild at this resolution), but Molprobity seems to like
> it quite a bit more.
>
> I agree with the replies so far in that: - The topic starter was
> rather blunt and could have been more subtle. He should probably go
> work in the Netherlands ;) - Building structure models at 3.9A is
> incredibly difficult. - The tools we have now are much better than
> in 2008.
>
> However, we should not act like 2008 were still in the dark ages
> of crystallography. There are a lot of good structures available
> from that time (and also from long before) even at that resolution.
> That is not surprising seeing that we also already had very good
> building and refinement tools available. We also had enough
> validation tools available to tell us that this particular
> structure model isn't very good. I really believe that a good
> crystallographer that was not pressed for time (or at least didn't
> rush) could have done better with the data and the tools
> available.
>
> I'm now going to hide behind an asbestos wall to say this: The
> manuscript was submitted in July 29th 2007, the PDB entry was
> deposited November 15th 2007. That means that the referees probably
> did not have a chance to see the finished structure model, at least
> not in the first pass. This implies that the authors didn't want to
> deposit the model on time. There are a whole lot of excuses for
> this, that are fortunately dealt with now
> (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1107/S0907444913029168/abstract),

but the referees could have been a bit more critical. They should have