Ls,

It is not possible to determine the secondary structure from the position in the Ramachandran plot. For a residue to be helical, it must have hydrogen bonds that correspond with a helix, and so need its neighbours. If these conditions are met, a residue will by necessity have backbone torsion angles phi,psi that place it in the Ramachandran plot in the area known as helix. However, if you look at a Ramachandran plot, you see that most residues are in the so called alpha helix, beta strand, or left-handed alpha helix regions. Actually, the percentage of residues that falls in these areas is the basis of the second oldest protein structure validation method. But on average almost half of all residues are in a loop. So where is the loop area in the Ramachandran plot? Well, there is no such area as residues in a loop tend to have in irregular succession of helix and strand torsion angles. So, if the torsion angles seem to suggest HHSHHHSSH then actually, we have a loop. Due to the cooperativity of the hydrogenbonding patterns in regular secondary structure elements the torsion angles for a Ramachandran-helical residue are not the same when the residue is in a helix or in a loop, but those are details for the validation people, and will not displace the cross in the Ramachandran plot too much.

If you are interested in the secondary structure assignments, use DSSP. We made it open source and gave it to CCP4 already a while ago, so everybody can use it. DSSP has so its issues, but as everybody uses it, these issues are known, and softwares for which they are critical deal with those issues properly, normally.

Gert