Besides, comparing protein structures locally need not involve any superposition method. I would say comparing torsion angles/distances between atoms is a more common solution to this problem. There are still cutoffs and weights to consider of course. Approaches vary on how to handle those (e.g. theoretical or through validation), but I seriously doubt your response constitutes 'case closed'.

Kind regards,

Dmytro.

On 10/04/17 12:06, Gert Vriend wrote:
Rather then now start mentioning yet 45 other 3D superposition
softwares, I think a pointer to the Wikipedia should suffice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_alignment

The Russian Doll effect (if you align more residues the comparison stats
get worse) is best explained (my opinion) by the CATH people (Orengo
group), and Arthur Lest is the only one (still, I think) who has been
thinking extensively about the cutoff question.

Greetings
Gert

From: Reza Khayat
Sent: Sunday, April 9, 2017 6:07 PM
To: CCP4 bulletin board
Subject: Structure comparison

Hi,

I have refined several structures of a protein from different space groups and would like to compare them to one another. Is there a program/software suite that would provide an objective comparison of the structures and identify regions where the structures are sufficiently different from one another to warrant a closer look? I think the most important aspect of the analysis would be defining a threshold (possibly based on resolution and structure statistics) that would identify sufficient difference between structures. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Reza

Reza Khayat, PhD
Assistant Professor
City College of New York
Department of Chemistry
New York, NY 10031

Het Radboudumc staat geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel in het handelsregister onder nummer 41055629. The Radboud university medical center is listed in the Commercial Register of the Chamber of Commerce under file number 41055629.