From: Conners, Becky [mailto:r.conn...@exeter.ac.uk]
Sent: 10 July 2019 16:29
To: Shengyang Jin <jinshengy...@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: MR for coiled coil structure

Hi Shengyang,

It is from a few years ago now, and there may be better methods now, but you
could have a look at:

EMBO J.<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18497748> 2008 Jun
18;27(12):1779-89. doi: 10.1038/emboj.2008.101. Epub 2008 May 22.
The Moraxella adhesin UspA1 binds to its human CEACAM1 receptor by a deformable
trimeric coiled-coil.
Conners
R<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Conners%20R%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>1,
 Hill
DJ<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Hill%20DJ%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Borodina
E<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Borodina%20E%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Agnew
C<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Agnew%20C%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Daniell
SJ<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Daniell%20SJ%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Burton
NM<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Burton%20NM%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Sessions
RB<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Sessions%20RB%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Clarke
AR<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Clarke%20AR%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Catto
LE<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Catto%20LE%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Lammie
D<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Lammie%20D%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Wess
T<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Wess%20T%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Brady
RL<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Brady%20RL%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>,
 Virji
M<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Virji%20M%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=18497748>.

The structure was solved by a novel exploratory molecular replacement method
using in excess of 20 different coiled-coil structures as search models in the
program PHASER (McCoy et al., 2005). The coordinates of a single strand of the
coiled coil of cortexellin (1D7M.pdb), which has no recognisable sequence
identity to UspA1(527-665), was eventually successful despite being from a
dimeric coiled coil. Solutions from PHASER had Z scores of 6 and 13 after
rotation and translation respectively to find the first molecule in the
asymmetric unit, and 5 and 9 for the second molecule. Initial phases were
improved by mutation of the sequence to poly-Ala followed by "atoms update and
refinement" mode of ARP/wARP (Perrakis et al., 2001). Symmetry operators were
applied to the first monomer to create the two trimers. The structure was
refined with iterative cycles of manual model-building using COOT (Emsley and
Cowtan, 2004), restrained refinement with REFMAC5 (Murshudov et al., 1997) and
density improvement with ARP/wARP as the correct sequence was gradually built
into the improving electron density maps. Data collection and final refinement
statistics are summarised in Table 1.
The structure was a trimeric coiled coil, but the model we were most successful
with was actually from a dimeric coiled coil and had no sequence identity to
our protein. The "atom update and refinement" option in Arp/wARP was excellent
at improving our maps.

Good luck!

Becky

Dr Becky Conners

Postdoctoral Research Associate

University of Exeter

01392 727468

www.exeter.ac.uk<http://www.exeter.ac.uk>

Office S03.07, Living Systems Institute, University of Exeter, Stocker Road,
Exeter, EX4 4QD, UK

[Corporate email signature]

This email and any attachment may contain information that is confidential,
privileged, or subject to copyright, and which may be exempt from disclosure
under applicable legislation. It is intended for the addressee only. If you
received this message in error, please let me know and delete the email and any
attachments immediately. The University will not accept responsibility for the
accuracy/completeness of this email and its attachments.