Jurgen, that *was *interesting.  (Strange how your hair came and went
during the talk, leaving you bald sometimes - but of course that didn't
matter !  ;)

Did you know that coronavirus was first isolated at 33C and that this
temperature may be required for isolation?
https://www.bmj.com/content/3/5568/767
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S019665531730901X

We don't know why the virus stays in the throat in many people, but at
other times it goes to the lungs.  ACE2 is predicted to be highly expressed
in the mouth and nose as well as the lungs.
https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-16992/v1

A recent Nature paper noted that "sequence-distinct virus populations were
consistently detected in throat and lung samples from the same patient,
proving independent replication"
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2196-x

It would be very interesting to know whether the lung samples were less
temperature-sensitive than the throat ones, and whether this could explain
the observed divergent tropism - (which you also noted).
https://oldwivesandvirologists.blog/predicting-the-seasonality-of-covid/

Thx and stay warm (see my blog)

Patrick

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:57 PM Jurgen Bosch <jxb...@case.edu> wrote:

> I’m sharing a laymen’s talk I recently gave on some aspects of Corona. I’m
> not claiming to be an expert, but there is useful information in the
> presentation. I skipped the intro and zoomed directly to the start of my
> presentation.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B00tJnbktVo&feature=youtu.be&t=204
>
> I can make the slides available if anybody wants them.
>
> Jürgen
>
> On Apr 2, 2020, at 11:27 AM, James Holton <jmhol...@lbl.gov> wrote:
>
> Personally, if I were infected with SARS-CoV-1 instead of SARS-CoV-2 I'd
> still like to know that.
>
> It is most certainly true that the primer design must be done right:
> checking for self-annealing, low genomic variability, cross-reactivity to
> potential contaminants etc.  Fortunately, we have tools for this that can
> be used at home.
>
> I agree the CRISPR-based tests are very exciting, as are many of the other
> new tests being rolled out.  Assay times of 15 minutes, 5 minutes, and now
> 2 minutes have been claimed.  The problem I see is they all rely on
> specialized equipment, skilled technicians and expensive reagents.  Ramping
> up production to the billion-test scale may not be feasible.  Even if it
> were, all the PPE needed to extract those samples safely would be
> prohibitive, as would be the sample-tracking logistics.
>
> For reasons such as this, I am curious to see if an at-home do-it-yourself
> test is possible.  It may serve no purpose other than to satisfy indiviual
> curiosity, but I think it would go a long way to defusing the fear that
> comes from not knowing.  This would not just be for sputum, but possibly
> doorknobs, packages, and, yes, mobile phones.
>
> And for those wondering about those nasal swabs:  I've done a little
> research on them and I think the reason for going full "Total Recall" and
> sticking it way up inside your head is not because the virus is more
> concentrated there (we don't even know what the concentration is), but
> rather because potential contaminants are minimized.  Think about it: PCR
> is a very sensitive technique, and you want to make sure the sample came
> from the intended patient, not the other patient who walked through the
> door just before you did after sneezing in their hand and touching the
> doorknob.  If you touched that same doorknob and then <ahem> "scratched"
> your nose, then a swab of your nostrils might pick up a virus or two.  That
> would be a false positive.
>
> I expect there are many aspects of current test that don't have to be the
> way they are, but nonetheless are "required" because they were inherited
> from previous tests.  I expect we all have learned the hard way that in
> biological science when you are handed a protocol you follow that protocol
> to the letter.  How many times have you had to teach a student that?  It is
> not a bad policy, but eventually there comes a time for "assay
> [...]

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Patrick Shaw Stewart, Peter Baldock, Stefan Kolek

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36