Hi everyone,
I wanted to revive this discussion with a fresh paper from Cell journal:
https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)31623-8
So one could use a smartphone camera for SARS-CoV-2 detection but you still
need some extra tools, like 488 nm laser.

пт, 10 апр. 2020 г. в 20:14, James Holton <jmhol...@lbl.gov>:

> It looks to me that in this norovirus test the phone is acting as nothing
> more than a camara attached to a conventional microscope.  Light source is
> 3rd party, and the microscope body is 3D printed.  3D printing is cool and
> all, but it does not scale well.  Antibodies are also expensive to make.
> You will go through a lot of rabbits to make the 1 kg needed for a billion
> tests.  This isn't quite the price point I had in mind.
>
> I agree that agglomeration of fluorescent beads is very sensitive.
> However, my experience with beads and other small objects is that they love
> to stick together for all kinds of reasons. And once they do it is hard to
> get them to separate.  Assaying for virus particles in otherwise pure water
> is one thing, it is quite another when there is other stuff around.
>
> Personally, I've tried several different phone-based microscopes and the
> hardest thing about them is aligning the camera.  I'm a beamline scientist,
> so aligning things is second nature, but your average person might have a
> hard time. The most annoying part is if you bump it you have to start
> over.  Image quality is also never all that great, I expect because the
> optics of a smartphone camera are wide-angle, and you are fighting against
> that.  Eventually I bought a self-contained wifi microscope for $50, and
> that works MUCH better.  In fact, I'd say its competitive with the $5k
> microscope we use to look at crystals. However, $50 is a lot in the third
> world. I've heard that drugs that cost more than $1/pill are essentially
> unobtainable in many countries.
>
> I'm still thinking that using the camera as nothing more than a big
> photodiode is the right way to go. By positioning the sample right in front
> of the camera lens you will get maximum light-collection efficiency. In
> fact, one might be able to get excellent time resolution out of the
> rolling-shutter mode.  That is, unlike the CCD or PAD detectors we are used
> to these CMOS sensors read out one row of pixels while the others are still
> exposing.  This means that the whole image is acutally one big time series
> with individual pixels only a few nanoseconds apart.  It should be possible
> to differentiate the light from a long-lived fluorophore from background.
> However, I don't think anyone has tried that yet.
>
> -James Holton
> MAD Scientist
>

> On 4/4/2020 5:48 PM, Jurgen Bosch wrote:
>
> Here’s another link I found that should make this project feasible:
>
> https://physicsworld.com/a/smartphone-based-device-detects-norovirus/
>
> Jürgen
>
> On Apr 2, 2020, at 3:52 PM, Patrick Shaw Stewart <patr...@douglas.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> Jurgen, that *was *interesting.  (Strange how your hair came and went
> during the talk, leaving you bald sometimes - but of course that didn't
> matter !  ;)
>
> Did you know that coronavirus was first isolated at 33C and that this
> [...]

Evgenii Osipov
Laboratory for Biocrystallography,
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences,
KU Leuven O&N2