From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Roger Rowlett
<rrowl...@colgate.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2021 10:45 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Looking for proteins for undergraduate biochemistry lab

Human carbonic anhdydrase II is very expressible in E. coli, and purifiable in
one step via affinity chromatography with para-aminobenzenesulfonamide affinity
resin (which is relatively easy to make, and reusable for many years.) It can
be assayed by stopped-flow spectrophotometry for CO2 hydration, by a timed
colorimetric assay, or you can investigate it's esterase activity with
p-nitrophenylacetate. This enzyme, as well as most other carbonic anhdydrases,
is also easy to purify by a classical combination of anion exchange
(Q-sepharose), hydrophobic interaction (butylsepharose), and gel exclusion
polishing. The latter would be a good exercise for students in general protein
purification optimization, which is an increasingly lost art. (Just had a
conversation with one of the protein chemists ast BioGen who pretty much
observed the same thing.) We routinely did classical purifications on tagless
overexpressed proteins for crystallography work. The time saved in His-Tag
purification is sometimes lost in cleaving the tag to make tagless protein for
crystallography.

A paper describing the purification procedure can be found in J. Chem. Ed.
(https://doi.org/10.1021/ed075p1021) for the similar bovine carbonic anhydrase.
An fun long-term undergraduate research training project might involve
improving the esterase activity through student-initiated point mutations.

I did this kind of parallel protein mutation project with my students in a
biochemistry research training studio course I taught, often  with one of my
research target proteins. Teaching lab students can do all sorts of crazy
things you might never prioritize in your funded research. Some of these crazy
things turn out to be fun and interesting. One of my students insisted on
making a mutation in a protein that seemed to have low chances of leading to a
successful publication based on prior work. Lo and behold, that mutation turned
out to be gold, and he was published within the year. I still can't believe it
not only worked, but crystallized easily from the first screen and optimization
for structure determination. Go figure.

Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor, Emeritus
Department of Chemistry
Colgate University
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346

email: rrowl...@colgate.edu<mailto:rrowl...@colgate.edu>

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 7:09 PM Chun Luo