Hi Huw

(first: thank to Phil for picking this up; it caused much confusion)

While I get where you are coming from, it is still from a mathematical
standpoint correct to consider e.g. a tetragonal crystal as monoclinic - P21 is
a subgroup of P43212 (say) so strictly it is possible and correct - if
experimentally unlikely - to have the situation we are discussing here occur.

Also, under merging data to investigate twinning is a current bb topic.

Telling users to “fiddle the parameters” so that the strict test is satisfied
feels like a non-ideal answer: a warning when importing such data could be
legitimate e.g. “hmm I note a = b and al=be=ga=90 _exactly_ this is unusual, I
hope you know what you are doing” rather than a flat out error.

Literally I got involved as I had a dials user ask me how to do this parameter
fiddling in a more niche case and I thought that was a suboptimal solution to
an artificial problem :-)

On a personal note, I think it is important that the tools we develop still
allow people to explore problems rather than railroading them down one true
route which is the only allowed way to look at a problem: we learn a lot by
exploring odd corners as here.

Best wishes Graeme

--
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential, copyright and or
privileged material, and are for the use of the intended addressee only. If you