Hi Graeme (I may well have mentioned this when we shared an office) et al

I’ll add something from my small-molecule crystallography days, when we used
point detectors - so this would be pre-1996 which was the last time I used one
of these machines.

I don’t remember which structure it was (feel free to go through the CSD to
check on my behalf, but many structures were not deposited in those days and
languish in a PhD thesis!); I had a dataset with three 90º angles, but the
processing statistics (and overall cell volume) indicated quite plainly that it
was monoclinic (probably P21). I re-refined the unit cell as if it were
triclinic and the “best” 90 degree angle with the smallest ESD was the one that
corresponded to the monoclinic beta; the two 90º angles refined away from their
true value more.

A result of that experiment was that (since then) I never assumed that the
values of the angles from the data processing showed unambiguously that I had a
high symmetry solution. I believe that Pointless arose after a
hexagonal/C-centred orthorhombic ambiguity arose (but my memory could be faulty
here).

Best wishes

Harry