Ever heard of CRYPTOWALL ?  I think that I got it from looking at
PDFs on the web while doing some research.  [...]

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015, Mouse wrote:
I trust you've now switched PDF viewers to one that doesn't
gratuitously execute (attempts at) live content?

Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. I'm more inclined to suspect the latter, but I obviously did not have them configured the way that I thought that I did.

Sounds like Cryptolocker.  Even the police paid the ransom to get
their data back.
If the police needed to even _consider_ doing that, they need to fire
whoever decided they didn't need proper backups.  (And whoever was
responsible for the mistake that got it running there to begin with,
either whoever decided to let it run or whoever decided to use tools
that would let it run, depending.)

Far too many guvmint agencies have far too much stuff "easily accessible" that shouldn't be.