On 09/15/2015 10:49 AM, Mouse wrote:

If the police needed to even _consider_ doing that, they need to fire
whoever decided they didn't need proper backups.  (And whoever was
responsible for the mistake that got it running there to begin with,
either whoever decided to let it run or whoever decided to use tools
that would let it run, depending.)

I think a more important issue in backing up is "How many GENERATIONS to you keep around?" If you're just overwriting last month's backup, you could be propagating the effects of a malware or just plain error with no means of retrieval.

My backups are currently done by connecting an external drive to a system, and booting with a live CD. Important stuff is also duplicated on several different machines--and when new technology obsoletes the old, carry the content forward on the newer medium.

I back up my original work or valuable reference sources. No pictures or movies. When you consider how much *original* work anyone does during a lifetime, it's surprisingly little.

Maybe that's changed today. I remember seeing a figure of 11 debugged lines of code per day per programmer as the average for a GSA programmer back in the 1980s.
Related to the subject of backup devices, I've been seeing stupid-low prices on SSD using MLC flash. How reliable are these things? I'm still of the spinning rust persuasion, right now.

--Chuck