On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 14:19 -0400, Ethan via cctalk wrote:
> I don't know if it's a good idea to low level format a drive or not.

Low-level formatting (which, at the time, was just called "formatting")
used to be quite a routine operation on ST-506 MFM and RLL hard disks.
They usually came completely blank from the factory and you had to
format them according to whatever sector layout and interleave your
particular controller wanted before they were usable.  Once the drive
was formatted you then had to run a separate process to lay out an
actual filesystem.

For MFM controllers on ISA cards I think the formatter was usually in
the BIOS.  For separate MFM controllers with a SCSI interface (Xebec
S1410 kind of things) you used the FORMAT UNIT command.

Newer ATA/SCSI drives with integrated electronics tended to come
preformatted and there often wasn't any way to execute a low-level
format even if you wanted to.  At about the same time they started
using embedded servo data on the disk itself for head positioning which
made it impossible to do a low-level format in the field.

I can't immediately think of any class of device on which attempting to
execute a low-level format would be an actively bad idea (apart from
destroying your data of course).  On older ones it would work, on newer
ones the drive would refuse the command, but in neither case is there
likely to be any bad consequence.  Was there a time in the middle when
something bad would happen?

p.