On 09/26/2017 03:53 PM, Jules Richardson via cctalk wrote:
> On 09/26/2017 01:19 PM, Ethan via cctalk wrote:
>> I don't know if it's a good idea to low level format a drive or not.
>
> I remember at least one manufacturer recommending it for their drive(s)
> if they were ever tilted through 90 degrees - presumably there were tiny
> effects on the head positioning and so not doing a LLF would result in
> problems.

I remember quite vividly evaluating the then-new IMI hard drive--the
thing with a smoke-black plexiglas top and about the size of a shoebox.
I think Corvus sold them as Apple II addons.

It used a voice-coil positioner.  If you lifted the front of the drive
to about a 10 degree (or more) inclination, the positioner would go
nuts, making all sorts of noise trying to stay on track--and eventually
erroring out.

--Chuck