The DK Driver for VMS versions around 5.x definitely had a problem with non-DEC
disks.  6.X and greater were slightly more forgiving.

The specifics are summarized in a note from Ralph Weber in
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/SCSI$20Mode$20Page$20Requirements$20$20axp/comp.os.vms/RAaUpP_XXEw/BWn64YZYwBQJ
 .

I don’t think there is list of non-DEC disks in the driver as it instead
checked the SCSI Mode bits and other disk configuration settings.   There is a
list (table) for DEC Drives (idiosyncrasies?) and another SCSI2 Tagged Queuing
devices requirements used for Clusters in the driver.

Regards,
Jerry