On 10/05/2017 01:50 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:

What I found curious was the CDC manual that called SCSI "SASI subset".
To me that says that SASI was the more elaborate protocol and SCSI
initially picked and chose from it.

Oh, no! SASI was VERY simple. You could read and write a number of blocks, and sense the error status. That was just about the total command set. Even SCSI-I had a much wider set, to accommodate tapes, scanners, printers,and other things. It allowed for several different types of status sensing, could report a lot of information about the drive (make & model, physical configuration, etc.)

At least the Memorex SASI drive/controller I put on my CP/M system was really basic, as far as I remember.

Jon