I will have to admit that, until I joined the CC list in 1997 when it was
first launched by Bill Whitson (anyone ever heard from him since he last
posted about sticking razorblades to the underside of his dashboard to
thwart thieves, which apparently worked?) I didn't have much knowledge
about computers before 1980, and I was amazed to learn that the first
computers were being built in the 1930s (to say nothing of Charles
Babbage's work in the 1830s).  I was pretty much a neophyte of computer
history.  However, I quickly became interested in all machines of all eras
after joining the mailing list.

Sellam