Chris,

This list was never declared to be exclusively an 8-bit affair.  I'm not
sure where you're getting that from.  From the get go in 1997 when Bill
Whitson founded the list, all computers of a vintage or obsolete nature
were game for discussion.  It's only after a few years and time marching on
with its inevitable technological progress, and companies that were once
industry stalwarts started to fall by the wayside, that we began to
question what the cut-off is.  And as far as the IBM PC, it was definitely
vintage by the time the list was launched.  The objections back in the day
as I remember them were to questions pertaining to modern x86 or Macintosh
systems that had plenty of forums elsewhere on the internet to engage in
discussions of those (i.e. this is not a tech support forum) (...unless
it's vintage tech).  These days, however, I think it's fine to discuss
286/386/486 and even Pentium (below the II, at least) systems because
they're sufficiently "vintage" now in the sense of the word that I think
brings focus to the purpose and nature of this hobby.

In the interest of putting this thread to rest, if I were to call the rule,
I'd make it simple: don't bring up boring modern topics that have a better
home somewhere else.

And with that, I hope we can move on, or at least morph this thread into a
more interesting topic.

Sellam