On 12/27/22 01:02, Steve Lewis via cctalk wrote:
> asically: programming on an actual vintage MS-DOS system is very painful
> these days.  For starters, the 8.3 filenames and lack of COPY-PASTE.
>  True, there are some vintage editors that will have a form of copy-paste.
> Another issue is some of those old editors are limited to 32KB or 64KB
> files (which with comments, sometimes you might get to pretty large files),
> and such old editors might not have multi-file support (like having .h and
> .c open at the same time).  I programmed many years in the "old DOS days"
> with 8.3 filenames - reliving that wasn't for me.  BUT, it is do-able.
8.3 was luxurious.  How about 8 with no period or 6.3 or just trays
I will say this about the old systems--by the time you sat down at the
keypunch or sent your code to the keypunch pool, you had desk-checked
your code carefully because it might be hours before you got to see the
result.  It instilled a certain discipline.  You want interactive
terminals?  How about a TTY?  The point is that a good programmer back
in the day had his code written before setting pencil to coding form.
It used to be a joy watching the good veteran programmers sit down at a
keypunch (the work is essentially "blind") without so much as a set of
notes and turn out a complete program module from memory.

To this day, my choice of editor is Joe on Linux--mostly because I need
some program to get things down in bits.   I'm not a perfect
touch-typist, as my high-school summer session typing teacher would have
told you.   A simple editor works wonders if you've already written the
code in your head.   One of the joys of programming low-end MCUs in my
dotage is that I can write code pretty much from scratch.

Modern WYSWYG editors with all of their styles and fonts are more of a
burden to me because I can't simply write things down; they have to look
good also.  For example, my idea of a table may not match the canned
version in the editor, so I have to struggle.

Granted, I'm old and should be rummaging around for a couple of pennies
for my eyes.  026s and 407s have long become museum curiosities--and I
suppose that I should join them.

But I had to have my say.   Now get off my lawn!

--Chuck

--Chuck