I don't have it handy, but there was a copy run by the Gimpel family near
Philadelphia (don't remember the company name) whose well-respected C
products worked on IBM DOS, OS/2, MAC and Amiga.  I have versions for most
if not all.  So, I'd say that "general purpose" can yet be broken down by
processor but there were companies who ported their C's to various
platforms, at least in the microcomputer / microprocessor world.
Bill