> On Jan 16, 2023, at 6:48 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> I am interested in whatever media are more likely to still be readable in a
> few decades.
>
> M-Disc claims 100 year life, but, obviously, no M-Disc has lasted that long,
> and they are making promises based on what they THINK will happen.
>
> M-Disc BDXL is currently available in 100GB per platter.

In the early days of this list (think back 25 years), I believe it was Tim
Shoppa that was recommending either Gold CD-R blanks, or Verbatim DataLifePlus.
 If I remember correctly, he’d done some aging tests on them, and they were the
two that held up well.  As a result, I standardized on Verbatim DataLifePlus
for any CD’s I expected to be reading after a year.  I’ve read ones from 1997
without problem.  In fact I think I’ve only had a couple minor issues.  One of
the disks I read had to be washed before I could even attempt it as it has been
sitting out bare.

What has surprised me is the results from the floppies, mostly stored in the
garage for the last 15 years, and before that, I don’t remember.  Granted I
tended to go with higher quality floppies, but still, I’ve expected a lot more
issues than I’ve had.  Some of the 3.5” floppies I’ve read date back to 1987 or
88.  Mind you I’ve not tried to recover data from 5.25” floppies yet, I’m still
trying to find those, and a big drawer/box of 3.5” floppies.

Zane