What about M-DISC DVDs and BluRays?  Archival grade, not susceptible
to magnetism or EMP.  I think BluRay discs are made of a harder material than
DVDs and don’t scratch as easily.

On Tue, 17 Jan 2023, Chris via cctalk wrote:
Don't know, don't care. If we're being attacked by nuclear bombs of any stripe, I have far more humongous things to worry about then what's on my hard drives. I suppose if you were wring a book and wanted to back that up to an optical disk, go for it.

I care, and would like to know more.
Even without nuclear bombs, which I stopped worrying about 60 years ago, I have occasionally had to deal with damaged data, from causes much more mundane than EMPs.

I have had magnetic, AND optical media that have "gone bad".

I am interested in whatever media are more likely to still be readable in a few decades.

M-Disc claims 100 year life, but, obviously, no M-Disc has lasted that long, and they are making promises based on what they THINK will happen.

M-Disc BDXL is currently available in 100GB per platter.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred                 ci...@xenosoft.com