On 2023-01-23 18:56, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:

I find it interesting watching people using trackpads. Most don't know
*how* to use them effectively.

Well, nobody teaches that... At least, nobody has taught me that, nor have I ever seen anybody do that. And I have seen many people complaining about how useless they are...

The core trick is that you should only move your fingertip for large
pointer movements, and for small precision movement, keep your
fingertip stationary on the trackpad and _roll_. Increase the
finger-to-laptop angle for vertical movement (pointer away from you or
toward you) and rotate your finger along its axis for small left/right
movements.

Now, for the first time in my life, have I access to this extremely important information.

Few seem to know this. If you don't know what you're doing, and do it
by trial and error, then trackpads kinda sorta work, not great but
acceptably.

Acceptably by which measurement? I hate them! I hate them! I hate them with all my might! I disable them in all laptops when possible, either by hardware or by software.

But I'm trying one right now and, for the first time in many years, thanks to this very email of yours, I'm seeing the point of this freaking thing. I might even start to use it now instead of reaching for a mouse when keyboard shortcuts don't cut it (almost exclusively while browsing some very badly designed or heavily graphics loaded web sites).

Thank you!