I don't think that portrayal of Xerox's view on the mouse is correct. Much of
Interlisp and all of Smalltalk was mouse-based and Interlisp was never designed
for (only) use by youth.

Trackpads are fine except for detail work. Touchscreens are bound by touch
targets needing to be finger-sized. The trackpoint works well if you never want
to take your hands off the keyboard at all. The mouse/trackball just sit in the
middle of the graph of connivence/precision.

..

--
Kenton A. Hoover
ken...@nemersonhoover.org