> On Jan 23, 2023, at 12:56 PM, Liam Proven via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2023 at 00:00, Ali via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> I am the exact opposite. I love my track point.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Trackpads are tolerable, but I preferred the era of trackballs. But if
> my laptop is on my actual lap, I turn off the trackpad and just use
> the trackpoint. Easier, less arm and hand movement, keeps your hands
> on the keyboard, and generally less hassle.

Clearly what we have in this discussion is "different strokes for different
folks".

I once had a laptop with a small trackball in the front edge.  It was somewhat
tolerable on the desk, not so much on the lap.

I also once had an IBM laptop with the "eraser stick" thingie in the middle of
the keyboard.  I turned it back in after a few weeks and demanded some other
model, any model so long as it didn't have that device.

Personally, I like trackpads.  But my wife doesn't.  And clearly there are lots
of opinions.  Pick what you like, don't be surprised if others have different
preferences.

Are large trackballs (with balls the size of a golfball or larger) still
around?  I remember a few people around the office that had one.  I also
remember seeing all the air traffic controller stations at the local FAA
control center equipped with such trackballs.  That made some sense, it allows
the operator to work in a confined space without having to worry about keeping
a clear desk surface.  That was before touchpads were invented, 1990s I think.

> I find it interesting watching people using trackpads. Most don't know
> *how* to use them effectively.
>
> The core trick is that you should only move your fingertip for large
> pointer movements, and for small precision movement, keep your
> fingertip stationary on the trackpad and _roll_. Increase the
> finger-to-laptop angle for vertical movement (pointer away from you or
> toward you) and rotate your finger along its axis for small left/right
> movements.
>
> Few seem to know this. If you don't know what you're doing, and do it
> by trial and error, then trackpads kinda sorta work, not great but
> acceptably.

Interesting.  It doesn't seem to apply to my Mac touchpad.  Or maybe only if I
run Linux on that hardware, that seems to have a different sensitivity setting.