Chuck can you give a few details about 'baking' disks?

Mike Zahorik
(414) 254-6768

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Guzis via cctalk [mailto:cctalk@classiccmp.org]
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2023 03:12 PM
To: Sellam Abraham via cctalk
Cc: Chuck Guzis
Subject: [cctalk] Re: Why the Floppy Disk Just Won't Die

On 3/10/23 12:50, Sellam Abraham via cctalk wrote:

> Please explain, Chuck.

Sure, bake the disks (I'm sure you know how to do this), then just
before reading, coat the surface with a thin coat of cyclomethicone (the
stuff has almost no surface tension, so a couple of drops works).  It
lubricates the surface temporarily; long enough to get a good read.
Eventually, it evaporates, leaving you with the original surface.

I've used it successfully on those wretched Wabash 5.25" floppies.

I use the stuff on tapes as well.

--Chuck