On 3/10/23 13:22, Sellam Abraham via cctalk wrote:

> Just when you think you've heard of everything.  How long have you been
> keeping this knowledge from us?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Mystic-Moments-RMCYCL100-Cyclomethicone-Liquid/dp/B00I5HBBGW
>
> $15 for 125mL.  Sounds like that would be good for hundreds of disks.

I've mentioned it multiple times on VCF and it's also mentioned on Herb
Johnson's retrocomputing web site.

I can't risk clobbering a client's disk or tape, particularly not one
sent by an institution's achivist of whom I'd like to remain on the good
side.  D5/Cyclo has been a lifesaver.  The stuff is slick but inert;
it's used extensively in cosmetics and lotions.  It's also somewhat
volatile, so it evaporates after awhile.

Hair detangler is a very notable use of it that even finds use in equine
circles.  I suspect that you could drink the stuff and not suffer
anything but a bad stomach ache, but I'm not about to prove it.

Another bottle of stuff that I keep around for softening rubber pinch
rollers and capstans is methyl salicylate/oil of wintergreen.  Smells to
high heaven like arthritis cream.  Mixed with a mild solvent (e.g.
xylene) it softens hard rubber up quite nicely, but your shop smells
like a gym locker room for a time.

And of course, heptane for cleaning--dissolves glue, cleans tape heads,
etc. without harming plastics or staining paper.

FWIW,
Chuck